Spring Pea Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon crisco vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups leeks, chopped (2 large leeks)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cups shelled peas or (750 g) package frozen peas
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk (regular or 2%)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or stock pot on medium heat. Add leeks and onion and cook for 5 minutes, until tender. Add peas and stir to coat with leek mixture. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add mint and season with salt and pepper.
- Purée soup in blender, food processor or immersion blender. Return to heat. Stir in evaporated milk. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- TIPS: To clean leeks, chop and place in a large bowl of cold water. The dirt will sink to the bottom of the bowl. lift out leeks and rinse in a strainer.
- It will take about 4 lb. of peas in the pod to yield 6 cups of shelled peas.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 56 year old Gramma that, for the first time in my life, has purchase myself a computer, and I didn't know what i was missing!! <br> <br>I have a husband tha I adore, and 4 grandchildren that of course surpass all others - lol - I am disabled, and am an at home person, so I have a lot of time on my hands, to play with my recipes, and I am enjoying every bit of it - <br>My husband will eat anything that I cook, so I have carte blanche as far as that goes, so I have a great time trying out new recipes. <br> <br>Paula Deen has published some of my favorite cookbooks, her recipes are easy and quick to do. Her sweets are fantastics, especially her pound cakes, Yummm <br> <br>I guess the dish that I am famous for is my Christmas ham - my family all comes home for Christmas, and if i don't have my ham they are dissapointed, and my grandson wants the pistachio squares!!! so I guess that is the dishes that I'm famous for.