Spinach, Mushroom and Cheese Casserole
Here's a tasty way to get your green vegetables in! I got this recipe from Woman's World magazine but I haven't tried it out yet so let me know what you think.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 1 loaf day-old Italian bread (8 oz)
- 1 tablespoon oil, preferably canola
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed,squeezed dry
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup
- Coat 9" deep-dish pie pan with cooking spray.
- Cut bread into 1/2" thick slices; cut slices into quarters.
- In skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add mushrooms 1/2 tsp.
- thyme salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and spinach; cook until heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange two-thirds of bread over bottom of pan; top with vegetable mixture.
- Tuck remaining bread pieces into vegetable mixture.
- Combine eggs milk, cheese and remaining thyme; pour over vegetables.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree; remove cover.
- Bake until cooked through and golden, about 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very good, Kim. The guys thought this was very tasty. Made for a nice lunch. Again, used fresh spinach instead of frozen. After the onion, mushrooms and tomatoes were heated, I threw in the spinach and cooked and stirred for a couple of minutes and then into the pie pan. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Kim. Made for PAC Fall 2009.Reply