Spinach, Mushroom and Red Onion Salad
photo by ncmysteryshopper
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey or 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces pre-washed Baby Spinach
- 6 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 6 ounces mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Combine orange juice, lemon juice and honey, in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil until combine; season with tarragon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine spinach, mushrooms, mandarin orange segments and onions in a large bowl. Toss salad with enough dressing to coat lightly. Garnishes with cranberries and pine nuts.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very tasty! I cut this to two servings. I think I would cut back on the oil in the dressing and increase the acid, but maybe if I'd remembered to get the mandarin oranges that would make up the difference (I had to skip them since I forgot to buy them). Otherwise, I thought this was a very nice blend of flavors! I used portobello instead of white mushroom. Thanks for sharing!
My father (a steak and potato guy) said the salad was great, and not only went back for seconds. He had 3rds, forgoing an extra meat portion. The balance of flavors and textures in this salad is phenomenal. I used rice wine vinegar instead of lime juice for a little lighter flavor. It was amazing too look at, and even better to taste!