Spicy Spinach and Coconut Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄8 lbs fresh spinach
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 1⁄4 cups coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄2 red scotch bonnet chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 4 tablespoons grated coconut
- Carefully clean spinach leaves and pinch off the stems if they’re thick and tough. Chop spinach leaves roughly.
- Peel onion and garlic gloves. Chop onions and crush garlic gloves with a spoon.
- Take seeds off chili pepper and finely chop it.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chili pepper, take temperature down to low heat and leave them for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, turmeric and grated ginger. Add vegetable stock and coconut milk and take to a boil. Reduce heat and leave covered for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven on broiler setting.
- Add spinach and leave them for 3 minutes or until they wither.
- Liquidize 3/4 of the soup and put it back in the pan with the remaining quarter.
- Squeeze lemon, add to soup and season with salt.
- Grill grated coconut for 2 minutes in the oven.
- Serve in individual bowls and decorate with grilled coconut.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I’m a French 28 years old working girl in Paris who enjoys cooking but has little time to do it. I’d like to share with you French recipes easy to make trying to keep in mind not to use too many weird ingredients you couldn’t find easily. Most of the recipes you’ll find on my blog are quick and easy to make. I love playing with recipes, trying out some new flavor combinations… I’ll share with you the successful ones as well as more traditional dishes.