Spicy Crock Pot Chickpeas
photo by cyaos
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (reduce if that's too spicy for your tastes)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (, canned or fresh)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook onions, stirring, just until they begin to brown; then add garlic and all spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add vinegar and tomatoes and bring to a boil, then place mixture in your slow cooker; add chickpeas and combine well.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours, or until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
- Serve with hot naan or pita bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We LOVED it! Definitely follow the others' recommendation for 28 oz. can of tomatoes, (we like whole), and 1/8th tsp. cayenne. I quick sauteed onions, garlic and fresh ginger and threw into slow cooker (with liner) and then dumped in the rest of the ingredients, gave it a quick stir, came home from work and voila: a scrumptious dinner, (I served it with "warm Indian zucchini salad")!
see 26 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have been sharing recipes here at Recipezaar since October 2001. You won't see me around anymore, although if you're an old-school Zaarite you'll remember that in the past, you couldn't shut me up!