Spicy Chicken Coconut Curry
photo by Chef Petunia
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 -3 dried red chili
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, plus more for garnish
- 1 lemon, juice of
- mint leaf, for garnish
- Heat the ghee in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic and cook slowly until the onions are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, curry powder, cinnamon stick, and chiles and give it a good stir; season with salt and pepper. Pour in the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring it back to a simmer; cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, and half the lemon juice; continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love food and I love to cook. I enjoy trying new and different foods and ingredients, enjoy traveling, festivals that gear toward food or drink, camping and being with family & friends. I am a serious cookbook and recipe collector, love my felines and try to balance my life to live to it's fullest.