Spiced Eggplant (Aubergine) Salad
- Ready In:
- 2 small eggplants, sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 cucumber, preferably Lebanese, very thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, home-grown, not supermarket varieties, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted, halved
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt, preferably creamy Greek yoghurt
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- flat leaf parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Preheat the grill, brush the eggplant slices lightly with some of the oil and cook under a high heat, turning once, until golden. Cut into quarters.
- Mix together the remaining oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, cumin and coriander; season to taste with salt and pepper; mix thoroughly; add the warm eggplant quarters, stir well and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Transfer the chilled eggplant mixture to a serving dish, and add the cucumber, tomatoes and olives; spoon the yoghurt on top, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I loved this with the strong vinegary dressing but my kids both pulled massive faces although they did try to eat the eggplant and tomatoes. They are pretty good about eating stronger flavours too so this may not be the most kid-friendly recipe if you have a 3 and 6 year old. Very quick and easy to prepare too.
Being Greek I had to try this recipe! I grilled the eggplants on a indoor grill, increased the garlic, cumin and olives. If you are an eggplant lover such as myslf then this is a recipe! I have to warn that this salad is not for someone who prefers weaker flavors! this can be served as a small side dish or actually a main meal it is VERY filling, this is a perfect dish for a vegetarian meal. I will look forward to making this again soon, it is just wonderful! thank for posting this great recipe bluemoon!...Kitten:)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
July 2008 update: VERY happy to be back on Zaar after about a two year absence due to having had no internet connection at home, and having been too unwell for a time so that getting re-connected wasn't even a priority! <br> <br>And really looking forward to getting back into the Zaar world and connecting again with the many wonderful people I knew before, and new people, of course!