Spiced Black Beans
photo by Queen Dana
- Ready In:
- 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans, 2 cans drained and rinsed, 1 can undrained
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 jalapenos or 3 serrano peppers, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Sauté the bacon until almost crispy, don't drain.
- Add vegetables, spice blend, garlic and bay leaf. Stir and simmer until veggies are tender.
- Add the beans, coffee, rum, curry, lime juice.
- Simmer until hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made adaptations to the recipe by using dried black beans. I put everything into a crockpot & added 12oz of dark beer (replacing the rum), 1 t cumin, 1/2 t liquid smoke, and then added enough water to cover the beans. Cooking everything in the crockpot left it colorless so I served alongside bowls of chopped tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, and rice for each person to assemble their own. The dish isn't "hot", but does have a spicy taste. There was a welcome hint of the exotic from the curry powder. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
This was a good, uncomplicated bean recipe. I made the vegetarian version, but I think next time I'll add some liquid smoke to give it that bacony flavor. Also, I second Chef Blade's suggestion to add hot sauce towards the end of the cooking time (the recipe is pretty mild otherwise, even with the addition of the three jalapenos). Thanks for the recipe!
OOOHHHHhhh so wonderful. I made mine meatless, and I only had sundried red pepper on hand, this turned out spectacular. The only thing I did slightly different is add about a teaspoon cumin and a sazon seasoning packet and did not use canned beans. A new fav. Perfect with rice, I think I will make enchiladas with my next batch. Thank you!!
This recipe worked mindblowingly well. Very easy, suprisingly fast to throw together, and the *flavor* exploded out of the dish. I like beans, but often have to convince myself to eat a healthy amount -- not so with these. We had lots of dishes out there ('carribean' feast) -- this was the only one scraped clean.
see 2 more reviews