Southwest Vegetable Soup
photo by mydesigirl
- Ready In:
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn, with liquid
- 1 (14 ounce) can cut green beans, with liquid
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 green onions
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 yellow onion, medium size
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons southwest seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 corn tortillas
- In a blender blend stewed tomatoes, honey, green onions, garlic, cilantro, onion, and seasoning.
- In a large skillet add 2 cans chicken broth and the blended ingredients, bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except red kidney beans, simmer with a lid for at least 20 minutes.
- Add red kidney beans, bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the tortillas into 1/2 inch strips, then cut in half, then fry in oil until crisp.
- In soup bowls put in soup then sprinkle with cheese then top with some fried tortilla chips.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I can't believe no one has reviewed this wonderful soup and it has been posted for 8 years. This soup is so easy to make too. Instead of using the blender I cooked all the ingredients that were to go in the blender and then used my hand immersion blender, so there was less to clean up. I did not have green beans so I just added a little bit of pasta. My 16 year old son came home and ate the entire pot. I also used "Recipe #289198" for the southwest seasoning. Thank you for posting this great soup recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a retired Plant Maint. Mgr. For Harwood Products Inc. We manufacture lumber products. I write original recipes for our company newspaper.