South African Ginger Cookies
photo by katew
- Ready In:
- 500 ml golden syrup (2 cups corn syrup will do)
- 500 g butter, soft
- 2 eggs
- 50 ml vinegar
- 50 ml dried ginger, the dried, ground spice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 500 ml light brown sugar
- 8 cups flour, unsifted
- 30 g baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Mix the golden syrup (or corn syrup), butter, eggs, vinegar, ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- Mix into the syrup-sugar mixture to make a dough or batter.
- Cover and put in fridge for a few hours.
- Heat oven to 200 deg C/400 deg F. Grease baking tins.
- Roll the dough between your palms into little balls the size of walnuts. Place these balls with space between them on greased baking tins.
- Press each cookie just slightly flatter with the tines of a fork.
- Bake about 12 - 15 mins or until nicely browned, in centre of oven.
- Cool slightly in the tins, then cool completely on wire racks.
- Keep in airtight tins. About 15 doz cookies.
I'm so proud of myself! I was a bit sceptical about this recipe, it's got vinegar in it, and no molasses, who ever heard of a ginger cookie without molasses? Not me? But I'm proud of the fact that I can eyeball a recipe I've never made before and just know if it's going to be a good one or not. And this one is not good, it's GREAT! I adore ginger cookies, and these are lovely. Not too hard, but just enough to be quintessential ginger cookies. I didn't have any ground cloves (I never do) so I just subbed some nutmeg and allspice (didn't measure). This recipe makes quite a lot of cookies, which have found a home in my freezer. I take one out to have with my cup of tea when I come home from a day at the office. And they're good frozen, too, if you like to gnaw. This recipe was perfect for me as well, as I usually work in metric, but hate to weigh flour. Thanks Zee, this feeds my ginger addiction!
WOULD THIS BE CORRECT FOR THE CONVERSION OF INGREDIENTS? Recipe by Zurie • LIST OF INGREDIENTS: YIELD 180 cookies • 2 cups of golden syrup (light syrup- not molasses) • 4 sticks butter, soft • 2 eggs • 1/5 cup vinegar • 1/3 cup ground ginger • 1 tablespoon cinnamon • 1 teaspoon ground cloves • 2 cups light brown sugar • 8 cups flour, unsifted • ¼ cup baking soda • 2 teaspoons salt
As the Lucky Charms fellow says, they're magically delicious and unlike Lucky Charms, these cookies really are! :D I didn't have, nor had I ever heard of, golden syrup. I halved the recipe and used 5 oz golden corn syrup and 3 oz blackstrap molasses. With the half recipe I ended up with about 72 cookies but they were pretty big. The only change I may make next time is add more ginger as I like my ginger cookies very gingery :) but we enjoyed them a lot and so did everyone that had them at the boys school potluck picnic today :D. Thanks for posting Zurie! Made for team Mischief Makers - ZWT#7, Dinner & a Movie
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a widow, retired, and I love cooking. I live on the coast in South Africa and I love seafood. You're welcome to my recipes (all kinds, definitely not just seafood!) Just remember that no recipe is ever cast in stone -- adjust to your taste! The photo was taken at a rustic seaside restaurant on our West Coast, approx 1 year ago (2016).