Sour Cream Banana Bars with Brown Butter Frosting
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (3 large)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1 inch jelly roll pan.
- In bowl of a stand mixer combine sugar, sour cream, butter and eggs on low speed for 1 minute; scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice to ensure that the ingredients are all combined.
- Add the bananas and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds on low speed.
- Add the flour, salt and baking soda and beat until combined; medium speed, scraping bowl when necessary, for about 1 minute.
- Fold in the nuts, if desired.
- Spread dough in prepared pan; use a spatula to get the dough evenly spread on the pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool in the pan.
- Prepare the frosting by heating the butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat until slightly frothy and just brown but not burned; remove from heat.
- Mix in the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk; whisk until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake.
- Cut into 2 x 2 inch bars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a wife and mom of 2 vibrant little boys. They love to create and cook in the kitchen... I love their curiosity and willingness to try new foods and techniques as I introduce them. I love to cook... always have. Thanks to my father for this culinary passion! While I am addicted to collecting cookbooks, my dad taught me to experiment in the kitchen and gave me the gift of knowing that creative cooking doesn't have to come from a book.