Soft Flax Pretzels
photo by Elise and family
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
8-12 big pretzels
- 2 -3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (8 g) package traditional active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- Combine 1 cup flour, 5 tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt in medium mixing bowl.
- Proof yeast by emptying package into 1/4 cup warm water and 1 tsp sugar. Wait ten minutes. If yeast doubles in size, it is good. (Family tip: sing a happy song to it while it rises.).
- Mix 1 cup of warm water and 1 TBSP olive oil. Add to dry mixture, along with proofed yeast.
- Mix well. Stir in flax seeds and enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly-floured surface, adding flour as needed, until smooth and no longer sticky (about 4 minutes).
- Put in bowl greased with olive oil, cover top of bowl loosely with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes to an hour to rise (until it doubles in size). I leave it on the counter beside the oven and preheat it to 475 - the warm oven helps the rising and it takes a while for the oven to heat to 475 anyhow.
- After it has risen, punch it down and knead about five times. Break into 8 pieces (or up to 12, depending on how big your batch is) and shape into pretzels. let rise 5 minutes more in pan, covered (I use the same plastic wrap).
- Bake 15 -17 minutes at 475, until golden brown. Let them cool a bit, and eat!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Cooking should be easy and fun, in my opinion! And it's not only what you eat, but how you eat it . . . a peaceful meal eaten with a sense of gratitude will do wonders for the digestion. I cook for my family and we enjoy mainly organic, vegetarian dishes.