Sofia Loren's Pasta Sauce With Onions and Pancetta
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces pancetta or 2 ounces bacon
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb tomatoes, canned
- 8 medium fresh basil leaves
- parmesan cheese
- Place the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add the bacon and onions.
- When the onions begin to turn golden add the Chile pepper, tomatoes, basil and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the sauce for about 15 minutes until the flavors are nicely combined.
- Meanwhile cook 1# bucatini until al dente.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce and sprinkle generously with cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I have been very remiss in not rating this a looong time before now. But, it truly doesn't appear that this recipe needs any more top ratings anyway :-)<br/>However......and nonetheless......this is a terrific recipe. Fast and Delicious and we have enjoyed the results many times over. The only change I've made is to cut back on the amount of onion and red peppers, but, other than that....I follow the recipe as it is written. Definitely a 5 Star recipe. Thanks so much for posting Salesgirl!
Loved it! We absolutely loved it although I didn't have the exact ingredients and had to improvise. I used lemon-infused olive oil and an Italian chili pepper mix (chili pepper, garlic, salt, parsley, and chervil) instead of plain olive oil and red pepper flakes. We had it with bow tie pasta. I am definitely making this dish again.