Soaked Lemon Cake (Swiss Style)
photo by lvbking
- Ready In:
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 10 g lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup milk
for the syrup
- 3 -4 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Butter a loaf pan and line it with waxed paper. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixer, cream the butter, add sugar and mix. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and lemon extract followed by the lemon zests.
- Mixing after each addition, add the dry ingredients and 1/4 cup of the lemon juice to the batter mixture and a bit of milk. Mix until just smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for around 45 minute.
Make the syrup:
- In a pan, stir together the juice of the lemons and add sugar, mix until the sugar is dissolved on medium heat.
- When the cake is done, let it cool in the pan 15 minutes. Take it out of the pan and peel off the waxed paper.
- Using a pastry brush, spread the warm syrup all over the top and sides of the cake and let soak. Cut into thick slices and soak each slice in the syrup. Let cool at room temperature or wrap each slice in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!