Smokey Turkey Chili With Peach Salsa and Kale
photo by jenleighd
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 bushel kale, ripped into small pieces
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (I remove all but a few of the seeds)
- fresh garlic, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) jar peach salsa (I use Newman's Own)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans beans, rinsed (I use a mix of black, light kidney, cannelini etc.)
- 1 (32 ounce) carton vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (I made my own using Mille's Chili Powder recipe)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Brown ground turkey on high heat in a separate pan with salt and pepper a little olive oil.
- In a hot soup pot, begin cooking the carrots, onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and garlic in a little olive oil until fragrant.
- Add the salsa, tomatoes, beans, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and spices and stir until combined.
- Add the vegetable broth and cooked ground turkey, stir, and simmer covered on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add the kale, stir until all of the kale is covered, and simmer on low heat for about five minutes, or until kale is soft but still green.
- Serve with topping of your choice, like chopped green onions, cheese, sour cream, etc.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This has become me and my gf's FAVORITE recipe. We love this so much! It is perfect to freeze and store so that when we want a hearty, warm, comforting meal in a jiff. I've calculated about 2 cups to be all I need for a serving, and that comes out to approximately 370 calories and less than $2 per serving which is amazing! I love this in general, but the fact that I can eat it while trying to be extra healthy and feel full and happy afterwards is just the best. Thank you!