Smokey Apple Bacon Chili
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
- 1 lb hickory smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 large sweet onions, Diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, De-seeded, De-veined, Diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 15 ounces red kidney beans, drained
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 15 ounces tomato paste (1 1/2 small cans)
- 3 medium cortland apples
- In a large saucepan, fry Bacon until crispy over medium-high heat. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sautee onions and peppers in bacon grease. About 3-5 Minutes.
- Add beef and cook until brown.
- Add cider and one tablespoon liquid smoke. Bring to a boil.
- Add cumin, bay leaf, salt, cayenne, garlic and chili powder and mix.
- Add beans, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about two and a half hours or until thickened.
- Remove the core from the apples and cut into a medium to large dice.
- Add bacon, apples, and the half teaspoon of Liquid Smoke and mix.
- Serve Hot topped with Shredded Cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
What's up? I'm Eric. I'm a Senior in High School, and about to start my second year in the Professional Foods program at the Center for Technology, Essex. I like to cook a lot at home and come up with new ideas for recipes.