Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
This came from the Plain Chicken blog -- her recipes are usually quick, easy and always delicious! I made this for dinner tonight -- dumped it into the crockpot this morning and it made the house smell delicious all day -- that's a good sign! The only thing I've changed is to halve the amount of cream cheese -- I found that a whole block was unnecessary for my taste. Otherwise, the recipe is hers.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 10mins
- 2 chicken breasts (frozen is fine)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, cut in chunks
- Place chicken on the bottom of the cooker, then cover with the canned vegetables. Top with seasonings and ranch mix. Stir together. Place cream cheese on top.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Use 2 forks to shred chicken. Stir cream cheese into chili. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this last night and it was good but a little bland for my family. I doubled the recipe and used all no salt added vegetables, substituted one can of Rotel for one can of the diced tomatoes, and used a 12 oz. package of frozen corn for the canned corn. I also added 1 cup of no sodium chicken broth to compensate for the liquid from canned corn and tomatoes. With 4 chicken breasts and a whole block of cream cheese I figure it was about 291grams of sodium per serving. Next time I will add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the seasonings.Reply
The nutritional value on this is waaaaaaay off. Just in the beans, corn, rotel tomatoes, cream cheese and ranch dressing mix there is approx 7050mg of sodium total. Divide that by your serving size (the orig website said 4 vs 5 stated here) That is 1410mg of sodium for 5 servings and 1762.5mg for 4 servings. That is crazy for one meal when your total allowance for a day is supposed to be 2000mg or less TOTAL!Reply