Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
- Ready In:
- 10hrs 30mins
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 - 4 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef short ribs
- oil or butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup cider or 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- In a large zip-top plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add ribs in batches and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil or butter.
- Transfer to a large slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; pour over ribs (slow cooker will be full).
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My local grocery had a sale on short ribs and I knew I had just added this to my cookbook so I snatched them up. These are the hands down, the best short ribs I have ever made! The sauce is wonderful!!! Had enough to spoon over homemade mashed potatoes. This is pure comfort food! I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe! Thanks Nurse Di!
These were really good. I used frozen country style ribs and didn't have time to flour and brown them. Will definately do that next time so I have a thicker sauce. I used balsamic vinegar (that's all I had) and only half a tablespoon of the chili powder. My mom came over during dinner and left with the recipe! Thank-you!
wow this was wonderful. I did make a few changes...left out the butter and flour entirely. Broiled the meat on all sides till browned. I used balsamic vinegar and salsa instead of wine or cider vinegar and chile sauce. the meat was spoon tender and the sauce.....oh the sauce, my hubbie and I couldn't get enough of it....thanks nurse di for a real keeper. It deserves 10 stars....here they are**********