I had been searching for a sloppy joe recipe we all would like and happened on this one. love this recipe as I can prepare it and forget about it! It makes getting dinner on the table a breeze. All my family loves it - AND it freezes well. The recipe actually makes enough for a couple meals - so why not go ahead and freeze some for a future meal? I found the recipe online from Better Homes and Gardens. I downsized it to fill our family's needs.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 45mins
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 medium green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 -10 hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- In large skillet cook ground beef, onion and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except hamburger buns. Mix well.
- In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart crockpot, add sloppy joe mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours OR on high for 3-4 hours.
- Spoon into buns.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
My DH said rate this a 10 and I agree! I did make this on the stove instead but will make this again and double it in the crock pot. When making sloppy joes I always use a can of Manwich but will not be buying it again, this is so much better. I used ground sirloin and apple cider vinegar since that was all I had on hand. Perfect seasoning and wonderful fresh flavor. Thank you hon for posting your recipe! Made for the Australia/New Zealand Forum's Recipe Swap #25.