Simply Delightful and Easy Lima Beans
I love lima beans and wanted to make a simple recipe that was tasteful but quick and easy to make. I had made something similar years back but changed it to suit my taste.
- Ready In:
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs (leaves only, refer to Note below. Use fresh thyme only, not dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (good quality brand, or else it won't taste the same)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place frozen lima beans in a saucepan. Cover with the water.
- Add garlic, thyme and bay leaf and stir. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 - 20 minutes or until tender.
- Into a sieve that is place over a bowl, pour off broth. Pour approximately 1/2 - 1 cup of broth back into saucepan with lima beans. Shake any garlic or thyme that sticks to sieve back into the lima bean mixture. Discard bay leaf. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Evenly pour olive oil over all and stir. Check for seasoning and adjust with salt, pepper, olive oil, if necessary. Serve hot.
- NOTE: to remove leaves from stem, turn stem upside down and run both index finger and thumb down main stem. This will remove outer stems and leaves. Add outer stems and leaves to dish. Do not chop.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Simple and delightful, made DH's day! I'm the picky lima bean eater, and this seasoning and gentle oil bath made these lima beans quite mellow. I agree that quality extra virgin olive oil makes a difference in this recipe. We'll definitely make these again! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.Reply