Sichuan-Style Spicy Orange Beef
photo by Muffin Goddess
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 hot chili peppers (This is not the usual chili pepper in the supermarket. It is smaller and spicier.)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot
- 500 g beef
- 1⁄2 cup broth
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange, liqueuer
- 1 tablespoon honey
- potato starch
- Cut the carrot, chili pepper, garlic, and orange zests. Set aside.
- Add oil into the pot and heat the oil. Add pepper, garlic and orange zest into the pot and stir fry for 4 minutes.
- Add the carrot and beef and stir fry for about 2 minutes to brown the beef.
- Add the water, broth, soy sauce, honey, and orange liqueur. Give it a good stir.
- Bring to boil and turn the heat into low. Cook for a hour. (You can check the softness of the beef for yourself and decide the cooking time. If you would like to have a softer beef then you should cook for more than an hour.).
- Mix the potato starch and water in a small bowl and add the mixture into the pot for another stir.
- Serve with rice, bread, or noodle. You can also take it as a main dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was excellent! I used just under 2lbs of sliced flank steak for the beef, so I basically doubled the recipe. I threw in some baby Bella mushrooms, too. I didn't have potato starch, so I used 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with an equal measure of cold water, then briefly brought everything back to a boil after mixing the cornstarch slurry in. I also couldn't find any bird's-eye chilies, so I used some Serrano chiles instead. Spicy, savory, tender, and delicious! I made a pot of Chinese-style sticky rice to go with this, and DH and I nearly finished everything! DH happily ate two big platefuls of this, which he only does when he really likes something, so this definitely got his 2 thumbs up, lol. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall '12