photo by Navy CDR
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 8 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can vegetable soup
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 3⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- chopped parsley
- 4 cups rice
- 3 lbs shrimp
- combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a blender, pour can of vegetable soup and puree. Once smooth, add water to 3 cups. Re-puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the onions, celery, and bell peppers. In a large skillet (preferably cast iron), heat the oil over high heat until it begins to smoke, about 4 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the flour , stirring until smooth.
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until roux is dark brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in the vegetables and 1 T of the seasoning mix with a wooden spoon; continue stirring until cooled, about 5 minutes. In a 2-qt saucepan bring 2 cups of the vegetable soup mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Gradually add the roux and whisk until thoroughly dissolved all the time reducing the temp to prevent scorching of overboil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until flour taste is gone, about 2 minutes, whisking almost constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside. In a 4-qt saucepan melt 1 stick of butter over medium heat.
- Stir in shrimp and saute 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the remaining stick of butter, the puree mixture and the remaining 1 cup puree; cook until butter melts and is mixed into the sauce, about 4-6 minutes, constantly stirring to prevent sticking/scorching/burning.
- Add the remaining seasoning mix, stir well and remove from heat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!