- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 3 lbs stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- Mix together in a bowl the canned soup and the packet of dry onion soup mix. Set aside.
- Put beef into a plastic bag with flour and toss to lightly coat the beef cubes.
- Brown in oil on top of stove. Remove the meat and deglaze the pan with the sherry.
- Put meat and the liquid from the pan in the soup mixture and mix well.
- Pour into crock pot or dutch oven and cover.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 3 hours or even better at 300 degrees for 4 hours. In crockpot, cook on low for 8 hours.
- Check halfway through cooking time to check gravy. If thick add small amounts of water to desired consistency.
- Serve meat over noodles or potatoes with gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very good! I followed directions for oven except I cooked mine at 250Â° for 6 hours...fall apart good! I used more sherry instead of water to thin the gravy. Thanks for postimg. Update 4/8/09. Made this again using crockpot method, stick with the oven method it is so much better! No change in star rating , still 4 star.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in a small city in southwest Virginia. We have been here for 22 years and love being near the mountains. I have three kids that keep me busy 24/7. I love cooking for my husband, but am constantly battling the picky eating kids at mealtime. I originally joined when this site was called recipeZaar to put my recipes into meal menus to rotate on a regular basis. Hopefully, to take the brainwork out of food shopping, menu planning and preparation. The problem is that I have found so many new recipes I want to try here I am going to end up with 100 menus! I guess that isn't so bad, variety is a good thing.