Sesame-Lemon Chicken with a Crisp Phyllo Crust
photo by Nadia NYC
- Ready In:
CHICKEN AND MARINADE
- 6 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg white
- 4 sheets phyllo dough (defrosted completely in the package)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- For the marinade—Rinse the chicken breasts, pat them dry, and make a few slashes in each.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a nonreactive bowl and add the chicken.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To coat and cook the chicken—Heat the oven to 450°F and butter a baking sheet.
- Butter a sheet of phyllo, top with another sheet, butter that and repeat with the other two sheets.
- Cut the phyllo stack into 6 equal strips.
- Remove a breast from the marinade and let some of the marinade drip off.
- Lay the breast at one end of a strip of phyllo and roll it up, leaving the ends exposed.
- Dip both ends of the chicken into the sesame seeds to coat.
- Put the breast, phyllo seam down, on the buttered baking sheet; repeat with other breasts.
- Brush the tops of the phyllo with butter and roast until crisp, browned, and cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Way easier to do than it seems. Basically just marinated chicken wrapped up in pastry and baked. Very tasty, very easy and very impressive looking. Step 7 is important: -- letting the marinade drip off. The pastry doesn't get soggy that way. It was also important to toast the sesame seeds first too. We just ate this with a spinach salad. Delicious.
The presentation of this is beautiful! Everyone was oohing- and aahing when I brought it to the table. The best part of this recipe is probably the marinade which I am going to use again for different dishes- the chicken was so flavourful. I served it with a broccoli casserole and lemon roasted potatoes. Thanks Mean Chef for another great recipe.
Another fabulous recipe from Mean Chef. I agree with others that next time I will use probably double the number of phyllo dough sheets. I also don't think I will coat the ends of the chicken so heavily with the sesame seeds. The flavors blended beautifully and it was just delicious. I served this with Mean Chef's Roasted Broccoli w/ Lemon Garlic Butter & Toasted Pine Nuts, and it made for one awesome meal. Thanks!! Dianne
This was wonderful!!! I made this last night for the people I work for and they were well pleased with it. It smelled heavenly while it was marinating and smelled even better (if you can believe it when it was cooking) I made it exactly as specified in the recipe and served it with my Lemon Rice and green beans almondine. Thanks Mean for a great recipe!!