Greek-Style Spinach Pizza With Phyllo Crust
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs freshy spinach (coarse stems removed)
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted and kept warm
- 7 sheets phyllo dough (17x12-inches)
- 12 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup finely crumbled feta (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced kalamata olive (or to taste, or use black sliced olives)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (can use less)
- Cook the spinach in a pot of salted water for about 2-3 minutes; drain in a colinder, then run under cold water to cool.
- Squeeze out any moisture using hands.
- Set oven to 400 degrees (IMPORTANT, use middle oven rack).
- Brush a large baking sheet lightly with melted butter.
- Put one sheet of the phyllo on the buttered baking sheet, then brush the top of the sheet with about 1 tablespoon butter (you will not need more than 7 tablespoons butter since you brushing 7 sheets of phyllo, use the butter sparingly as the phyllo will be too greasy, you might even want to use less than the 7 tablespoons!).
- Sprinkle the buttered phyllo with 2 scant tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Lay another sheet of phyllo on top and press firmly so that it adheres to the bottom piece of phyllo.
- Brush the sheet with melted butter, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Layer the remaining phyllo in the same manner ending with a sheet of phyllo.
- Brush the top sheet lightly with melted butter.
- Bake for about 3-5 minutes.
- For the topping; sprinkle the spinach evenly over the crust, leaving about 1-inch border all around.
- Then season with black pepper and a little salt.
- Sprinkle the sliced red onion over the spinach, then sprinkle with kalamata olives.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the phyllo pizza for about 15 minutes or until the feta is melted.
- Slice into squares using a pizza wheel.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!