- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- salt and black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (with their juice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb scallops
- Put oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. When butter is melted, add flour and cook, stirring almost constantly, until roux darkens and becomes fragrant, about 15 to 20 minutes; as it cooks, adjust heat as necessary to keep mixture from burning.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic and raise heat to medium. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables have softened, about 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the stock, tomatoes, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and cayenne. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat so soup bubbles steadily.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until flavors meld. Add scallops and cook until they are no longer translucent, about 2 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Taste, adjust seasoning and serve, garnished with parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!