Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
- Ready In:
- 6 -8 slices white bread, with the crusts removed
- 1 1⁄2 ounces soft butter (approx)
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- salt and pepper
- some chopped parsley, for serving
- Use a little of the butter to fry the onion, paprika and the garlic until they are soft.
- Use the rest of the butter to spread on the bread and grease an ovenproof dish.
- Cut each slice of bread into triangles and arrange 6 slices, butter side up, in the dish.
- Sprinkle over half the onion-garlic mix and half the cheese.
- Arrange the remaining slices on top, this time with the butter side facing down, and top this with the rest of the onion-garlic and the cheese In a jug mix together the yolk, eggs, milk and seasoning.
- Pour the egg-mixture over the bread.
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes minimal, maximal 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Uncover the pudding; bake for 40 to 45 minutes until brown and the custard has set.
- Serve with the parsley sprinkled over.
Join The Conversation
This is a fine recipe. We loved the onion pudding. The flavors were wonderful together, and it was a very nice texture. I used the Texas 1015's, which are mild and sweet, but have a lovely flavor. This dish is easy to put together and the "setting" time gives you time to prepare the rest of the meal. Thanks so much, Pet's for a great recipe. I'll make this one again!