Savoury Beef Stew (Or Buffalo, Moose, Venison)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 -3 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (680 ml) can tomato sauce
- 2 -3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -4 tablespoons beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 6 -8 large potatoes
- 4 celery ribs
- 6 -8 carrots
- salt & pepper
- Dredge beef in flour.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet, add meat & brown slowly. Transfer the meat to a large pot.
- Add onion and garlic to pan - saute until onion is soft (don't burn) and then add to pot with the meat.
- Add tomato sauce, worcestershire, boullion, and parsley - add 2 - 3 cups of water so that the meat is covered. Simmer at low heat for 1 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Season at this stage to taste with salt & pepper, add more bouillon or other spices that you like.
- Peel and cut up the potatoes and carrots to desired size, dice the celery. I cut the potatoes into about 1 1/2" cubes, and the carrots in thick diagonal slices. If you want it to cook a little faster cut them smaller, and it will reduce your cooking time. Place all in large bowl and cover with cold water until ready to use.
- When stew meat is tender, typically in about an hour, you can add the vegetables. Drain the vegetables well and add them directly to the stew. Add some water if needed to make sure the vegetables are covered (sauce should just cover the vegetables). Cook on medium/low heat another 45 - 60 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are tender (not mushy!).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!