Save the Stems Broccoli, Carrot & Cabbage Stir Fry
photo by Jenny Sanders
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 broccoli stems (from 1 bunch)
- 1 large carrot
- 2 -3 leaves savoy cabbage
- 3 -4 green onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Peel the broccoli stems, but don't cut off the ends.
- Grate the stems down to the end stubs, and discard the stubs and any stringy bits that didn't grate well.
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- Discard the thick cabbage stems, and finely shred the rest of the leaves.
- Finely chop the green onions.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, and add all the prepared vegetables.
- Sprinkle the water over the top.
- Cook the vegetables over medium-high heat for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the water is evaporated.
- Sprinkle the soy and Worcestershire sauces over the vegetables, and continue to cook and stir for 3 or 4 more minutes until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had leftover broccoli stems and the other ingredients, so I decided to give this a try. The vegetables tasted great together, and had a nice crisp-tender texture. The only suggestion I'd make is to use half the amount of soy sauce and add a little more water -- to me, using 2 tbsp. of soy was too strong and masked some of the taste of the fresh vegetables. But I'll definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to garden, both perennials and vegetables. I am always looking for recipes to fiddle with, especially good simple vegetable dishes. I try to use organic ingredients as much as possible.