photo by alchemy00115
- Ready In:
- 1 lb bulk sausage (hot or regular)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Cook sausage and onion.
- over low heat until sausage is browned; drain off excess grease.
- Add cheeses, whole egg,hot sauce, salt, and parsley.
- Make a dough by mixing the baking mix with milk and mayonnaise-it will be a sticky dough.
- Spread half of dough over bottom of a well-greases 8 inch square pan.
- Cover with sausage mixture.
- Spread remaining dough over sausage mixture; brush with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven.
- Cut into squares and serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Good stuff, Leslie! I made the mistake of halving the sausage (I used Italian sausage) but it would've been even better with the whole amount. I don't buy baking mix so I followed PaulaG's recipe for Baking Mix Aka "bisquick", and that worked really well. I screwed up and added the whole egg to the baking mix with the milk and mayo, but that didn't seem to hurt anything. Thanks for posting this quick, tasty recipe!