Sausage Breakfast Muffins
photo by under12parsecs
- Ready In:
18 muffins, med.
- 1 lb sausage meat
- 1⁄2 lb low-sodium bacon, cut up small
- 1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- sea salt & fresh black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (or any bread you like)
- 5 omega eggs, beaten
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray muffin pan(s) with cooking spray.
- Crumble sausage meat, add bacon, mushrooms & seasonings into a large frying pan, cook well. Drain excess fat.
- Remove hard crusts from bread and tear into small pieces in a large mixing bowl, add meat mixture. Mix well to combine and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the cheese to bread mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs and skim milk.
- Evenly pour egg mixture over bread and meat, mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Fill muffin pan 2/3 full, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until set. (Do not overbake).
- Place muffin pan on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were phenomenal! I was inspired by the italian seasoning to make these muffins with an italian flare, so I usedlean hot italian turkey sausage, turkey bacon, and turkey pepperoni . I also used 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites, reduced fat pizza blend cheese and some cubes of ciabatta bread. Wonderful way to use up leftover pizza toppings and so hearty and healthy. Thanks, Ducky, for a sure-fire recipe!