Sauerkraut Smothered With Pork Chops and Sausage
photo by ncmysteryshopper
- Ready In:
- 6 slices bacon, coarsley chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (22 -27 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 -6 peppercorns
- 4 -6 juniper berries
- 2 -3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf, broken up
- 1 sprig parsley
- 2 -3 bratwursts
- 4 small pork chops
- 4 -8 smoked link sausage
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- In a large skillet or electric frying pan, cook bacon until it just begins to brown. Pour off fat, then add onion. Saute until onion is transparent.
- Stir in sauerkraut, carrots, brown sugar, chicken broth and wine.
- Tie up spices and herbs in a small bag of cheesecloth. Bury in the center of the sauerkraut mixture. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Diagonally score 1 side of each bratwurst. In a separate skillet brown the bratwurst and pork chops.
- After the sauerkraut mixture has simmered 10 minutes, add potatoes, working them down into the mixture. Top with browned bratwurst and pork chops. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add smoked sausages. Simmer, covered another 15 minutes.
- Remove pouch of seasonings before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WoW!! This should be on everyone's Oktoberfest menu! This was the tastiest combination of flavors ever! I have never had Sauerkraut and I started to get nervous while this was cooking.... but OMG this was so good!!! The pork chops cut with a fork!!! These were the most tender pork chops ever (without being slow cooked in the crock pot) and they maintained thier texture. The flavors were subtly sweet and the sauerkraut really enhanced the meat. The potatoes were cooked to perfection and the carrots were splendid. The vegetables were brought to new heights with the flavor of the pork in this dish. This is a wonderful one-dish meal! Welcome to Germany!!!!!