Sauerkraut Beef Hotdish
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- Brown beef and onion; set aside.
- Mix sauerkraut and margarine, heating through; set aside.
- Alternate layers of beef, sauerkraut, and rice in a 1 1/2 quart deep casserole that his been greased.
- Mix milk, egg, and sour cream together and spread on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes uncovered.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had a leftover pork roast that I had seasoned with Penzey's Bavarian seasoning and I wanted to use the pork roast in a way that would compliment the seasonings. I used pre-cooked brown rice and threw in about 1/2 tsp of caraway seeds. I did not layer this. I just mixed the main ingredients together and put the topping on it, which I found curious but makes for a tasty casserole. My DH liked it and said it is a do-over and he would like to taste it made it with the ground beef. Thanks, Potatohead!
I'm already a sauerkraut fan, so this recipe pleased me immensely. I like variety and this is a new taste for kraut. I wasn't sure on the layering, so I did beef, kraut, rice, kraut, then topping. I wanted to be sure the rice would cook, and it did. Thanks potatohead, I will be making this again! Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring '09.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
>I am a one time corporate pastry chef who has settled into a local bakery to ease out of a hectic career. I became disgusted by the advances in technology that allow any novice cook to be labeled a pastry chef. I don't do desserts at home, mainly main dish entrees with a healthy flare, for 2 people. I have a collection of over 200 cookbooks, but still find this site very interesting.</p> 8760543"