Cheesy Sauerkraut Hotdish
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 28 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 12 ounces cream of celery soup
- 12 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Brown ground beef and onion.
- Drain off fat.
- Layer half of been and onion in 7x11 casserole.
- Cover with sauerkraut
- Top with remaining onion and beef mixture.
- Put uncooked egg noodles on top.
- Spread soups over noodles.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees, covered.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake an additional 30 minutes more.
- I often double this recipe for a 9x13 pan.
- Hint: Make sure you cover all your noodles with soup or they will be rock hard along the edges, bad for the teeth.
- Zaar won't allow the correct descripton of the sauerkraut, it calls for a 1 pound 11 oz can so I just computed to get the recipe to take.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
You do not even have to like sauerkraut to love this! I made as directed, but I used a glass casserole dish because I did not have the 7x11 dish. After 30 minutes the noodles were not yet soft, so I added some milk and covered with foil (sprayed with Pam so it wouldn't stick.) After about another 20 minutes, voila - soft noodles. I then baked w/o the foil to melt/brown the cheese. My son (10 yrs) gobbled it up.
I thought this was so good my 4 1/2 year old even liked it!! I used cream of chicken and mushroom soup just as a personal preferance and I added canned mushrooms and the frech's fried onions on top (those are good on everything) and I didn't have cheddar cheese so I used motzerella but it was very good next time I will try it with cheddar, thanks for posting it I will make it again!