Salmon Banh Mi
photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
For the Salmon
- 12 ounces filet fresh salmon, bones and skin removed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- freshly cracked pepper
For the quick pickled radishes and carrots
- 1 large daikon radish, peeled and cut into matchstick lengths
- 2 -3 carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick lengths
- 3 -4 radishes, sliced in rounds
- 3⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the sandwiches
- 4 baguette (6-inch to 7-inch lengths and choose a baguette that has a thin, crispy crust and a fluffy interior)
- 1 English cucumber
- mayonnaise, good quality (can add squeeze of lime and-or Sriracha)
- 12 pickled jalapeno chile, sliced thin
- 8 -12 sprigs cilantro
- For the Salmon: Cut the salmon 8 slices, crosswise and lay them out on a work surface. Combine the next 3 ingredients and brush generously on the salmon. Heat a little vegetable oil in a cast iron or heavy skillet over medium high heat and sear the salmon until caramelized on both sides;; about 1 minute on each side. Remove to a platter. Note: The salmon is delicious if it is still warm when the sandwiches are made. However, if you are not going to eat the sandwiches right away, chill the salmon before composing.
- To make the vegetables: Place the vegetables in a bowl. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour the warm pickling liquid over the vegetables and allow them to marinate at least 1 hour and up to overnight. When you are ready to prepare your sandwiches, remove the amount of veggies you need and store the rest in your refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- To Assemble Sandwiches: Slice the baguette pieces lengthwise, leaving them hinged. Tear a little of the bread out of each half to slightly hollow it.
- With a vegetable peeler, cut thin strips of cucumber the same length as the baguette. Make 3 or 4 for each sandwich. If you like, you may sprinkle the cucumber with a little fish sauce or just a dash of salt and sugar.
- Spread the inside with mayonnaise and place 2 pieces of salmon on the bottom. Layer the sliced cucumbers, pickled vegetables, sliced jalapenos and cilantro sprigs on top.
- Wrap the sandwiches in butcher or parchment paper for travel or just use both hands and eat it immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!