"royal" Turkey Stuffing.
photo by Engrossed
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
1 stuffed turkey plus a casserole
- 10 lbs potatoes, baked
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons ground sage or 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- fresh ground pepper
- poultry drippings or vegetable broth, for basting
- Yes, 10 lbs. I stuff the bird and use the rest as a separate casserole. It all gets eaten.
- Bake potatoes. When done and cool enough grate them and put into large bowl. I use skin and all.
- Add butter and mix. DO NOT use margerine.
- Add other ingredients and mix well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stuff turkey or chicken and roast according to your instructions.
- For the rest of it.
- Butter a casserole dish and put in remaining stuffing.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Baste periodically with turkey/chicken drippings and cook until it has a nice crust on top.
- If you want a vegetarian dish use a rich vegetable broth to baste it with.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was just okay. I made a sage and onion potato stuffing for a goose last Christmas that didn't have breadcrumbs and it was much better than this. I did like the shredded baked potatoes idea and may try that again with something else. I baked them the night before and then turned the heat off and left them in the oven until the next day. Then I shredded them on my grater and it was easier than I expected.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love food and love to cook, thanks to my mother who loved to cook and taught me to appreciate it. What a gift! But I went farther than that and love to explore food from all over the world. I have so many condiments and spices that my huge lazy susan is tipping over and I have spices etc in the back closet by the garage and in the basement. My husband is Iranian. We both cook Iranian food, and Afghan food too as our adopted "family" here is Afghan. I recently learned some great Ghanaian dishes from friends from there. And great Calabrese recipes from my closest friend. I also design jewelry with the same passion that I cook.