Roasted Squash Mash With Ginger Puree
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash (or similar)
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated gingerroot, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- garlic chives or fresh dill, for garnish
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. With a spoon scoop out the seeds and discard. Place the squash cut side down in a shallow baking dish. Add 1 cup water.
- Bake squash in the oven until tender and a knife can be easily inserted into the thickest part of the squash; 45 to 50 minutes depending on size.
- Cool until it can be handled, approximately 15 minutes. Remove the skin and discard.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the milk until the milk is hot, about 1 minute. Be careful not to burn! Stir in the grated ginger with a fork.
- Place the squash in a bowl and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Add the milk-ginger mixture to the mashed squash. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place in a serving bowl and serve immediately. Garnish with chives or dill, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!