Risotto With Butternut Squash and Arugula
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 lbs butternut squash
- 6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 4 ounces arugula (spinach can be substituted in a pinch)
- For Squash:.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Halve squash lengthwise and seed, then cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch-wide slices and season with salt.
- Roast slices, skin side down, in a shallow baking pan in middle of oven until tender and golden, about 50 minutes (you might actually need to do it a little longer).
- Set aside 6 crescent-shaped squash slices for serving and keep warm. Cut flesh from remaining slices and chop into 1/2-inch pieces, discarding skin.
- For Risotto:.
- Start risotto after squash has been roasting 40 minutes:.
- Bring broth to a simmer and keep at a bare simmer, covered.
- Meanwhile, cook the onion in the butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add rice, garlic, and cumin and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup simmering broth and cook at a strong simmer, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed.
- Continue simmering and adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is creamy-looking but still al dente (it should be the consistency of thick soup), about 18 minutes total. (There will be leftover broth.).
- Stir in 1/2-inch squash pieces, then stir in cheese, sage, and arugula and salt and pepper to taste. Then simmer, stirring, 1 minute. (If necessary, thin risotto with some leftover broth.).
- Serve risotto immediately, spooned over reserved squash slices.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!