Creamy Rhubarb Custard Pie
photo by Persian Berry 2011
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix the pie crust ingredients altogether and roll out between two pieces of waxed paper. This is for a 2 crust pie. It's the flakiest pie crust you will ever have. 9 inch pie.
- For the filling, mix together the first 4 ingredients.
- Add eggs and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the rhubarb.
- Put into crust and top with 2nd crust.
- Bake 10 minutes at 450; reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A delicious rhubarb custard pie! The sweet custard and the tart rhubarb are a great combination. I used one and a half cups of sugar to the four cups of rhubarb and it was perfect for our tastes. I grated fresh nutmeg into the pie, oh so good! I used two prepared pie crusts; the recipe sounds interesting, perhaps I will try the crust another time. I baked the pie about 45 minutes, perfect!
This looked so yummy I had to try it. It WAS yummy. I was a little cranky in my initial review when I complained about the oil crust but I've since seen techniques which make managing the papers and dough more easily with less rips and tears. I think I can make another oil crust (it is tasty and flaky) and hope the tip of the piece I cut will stay on. The filling is easy and worth making in a different pie crust if the oil crust is too difficult to roll and fit in the pan.