photo by breezermom
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 slices deli sliced corned beef
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄2 cup thousand island dressing
- 1. Preheat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat.
- 2. Lightly butter one side of bread slices. Spread non-buttered sides with Thousand Island dressing. On 4 bread slices, layer 1 slice Swiss cheese, 2 slices corned beef, 1/4 cup sauerkraut and second slice of Swiss cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered sides out.
- 3. Grill sandwiches until both sides are golden brown, about 15 minutes per side. Serve hot.
- My Update Notes: I drained the sourkraut but didn't rinse it, because we like the tangy taste of the sourkraut. I buttered rye bread slices on one side and spread Thousand Island dressing on the other side. On the dressing side I placed a slice of swiss cheese, sliced Pastrami from the deli and then topped with sourkraut. I cooked them on my grill until the cheese was melted and the bread was nice and toasted. They were delicious! I only gave the four star rating because the sourkraut in the middle wasn't very warm. Next time I make these I will warm the sourkraut in the microwave first and maybe add another slice of swiss too! I made was to heat the sauerkraut in the microwave for 20 seconds before adding to the sandwich. I like my sandwich warmed all the way through. I would recommend keeping a good eye on your bread and toast it to your liking. If you like Rueben sandwiches you will love this one!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made these (2) for lunch on Friday for hubby and I. I'm giving this 5* stars, although I switched up my sandwich a bit. I don't like rye bread, so I used sour-dough for mine (hubby used rye). I didn't use Thousand Island dressing (but hubby did). I used country mustard, instead. We both loved this classic sandwich. I make it quite often. Thanks for posting (Made for PRMR)