- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork (or use all ground beef)
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) jar sauerkraut, well drained
- 8 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 (3 ounce) can French-fried onions
- catsup or tomato-based chili sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine meat, oats, Worcestershire sauce, egg, pepper and garlic powder.
- Turn mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and pat evenly into bottom and up sides (Yes, the meat is the pie crust!).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drain fat.
- Meanwhile combine sauerkraut, cheese, caraway seeds, and 1/4 of the onions.
- Turn into drained crust and return to oven for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with remaining onions and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Pass catsup or chili sauce to spoon over individual portions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a high school math teacher. I live near the Los Angeles harbor with my husband of 30 years. I have two grown sons (well, THEY think they are grown) and the nicest two year old grandson, dogs, cats, etc. My mom had ten meals that she cycled through, only adding a new one occasionally. She read that Rose Kennedy did that. I understood that - she had eight kids and a full-time job and a parade of pets and a cranky husband. But I can't feed my family that way; it degenerates into frozen pizza and Hamburger Helper in the blink of an eye. I love finding new things here.