Raw Cashew Chickpea Hummus!
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups chickpeas (sprouted)
- 1⁄2 cup cashews (raw)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed)
- 1 lemons (juiced) or 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 1 teaspoon coriander (ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (ground)
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mint (optional)
- In food processor or mortar and pestle grind cashews and garlic until small.
- Add in chickpeas (see note below on how to sprout them), ginger, salt and spices/herbs. Grind until chickpeas are small bits.
- Add in lemon/lime juice and olive oil and blend until smooth. You may need to add a splash of water to reach desired consistency (smooth but not runny).
- That's it your ready to eat enjoy!
- How to sprout chickpeas: Rinse and soak 1 cup of dried chickpeas for 12-24 hours, if soaking for 24 hours rinse and add new water half way through. After they have soaked rinse and place in a large clean glass jar and place cheesecloth over the top with an elastic. Place on its side so the chickpeas get a lot of air circulation in a well lit room. Chickpeas will take 1-4 days to sprout and will need to be rinsed 2-3 times a day. They are ready to eat when the "tail" is 1/4-1/2 inch long :).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yay! I sprouted the chickpeas and I wasn't really hard! And the dish was pretty good too. I seasoned it more like I would "regular" hummus, without the peppers. I thought though I could taste the sprouty-chickpeas, it was still pretty good. My husband thought it a little bitter and could use more garlic. Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC tag game.