Mediterranean Chickpea Hummus
- Ready In:
- 4 -5 cloves garlic
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup tahini paste (sesame paste)
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemons, juice of (start with 3tbs first, if you like it a little more tart, add another spoon)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon soya sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less to suit taste buds)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Blend garlic first.
- Add chickpeas, pulse for a few times at first, then puree, adding tahini paste through the feeder.
- Add in olive oil, lemon juice, soya sauce.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add salt, cumin, coriander, cayenne, lemon juice and water.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl, and garnish with some chopped parsley and cilantro leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My DH, the self proclaimed hummus experty, gave this 5 stars...and I liked it too. I made only a couple of adjustments for our taste. I used a can and a half of the chickpeas, a couple of tablespoons more oil and 3 large chipotle peppers in adobo, omitting the coriander and cayenne. This is now be my default hummus recipe from this day forward, and I know I will be able to work out many different variations from this "mother" recipe.
Very good! We love hummus, and this one is similar to the Mediterranean hummus that we like at Trader Joe's. I didn't add as much cumin, maybe 1 1/2 teaspoons. I didn't have the coriander on hand, but didn't miss it. I used red pepper sauce, a couple of drops because I couldn't find my red pepper anywhere! Thanks for a great recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love trying different kinds of food, playing with flavours. I inherited it from my dad. We used to spend every Sunday, cooking something new. It was like a special day for us to spend time together. Apart from cooking, I also love travelling. My favourite places are Jamaica, and Morocco. Nothing like sitting by the side of the road somewhere, eating Jerk Chicken or a Moroccan Sandwich!