This recipe calls for no yeast and requires you to boil the raisins with the baking soda.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Combine raisins, water and soda; bring to a boil.
- When mixture begins to foam, remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla and cinnamon.
- Fold in flour and nuts. Add to the raisin mixture.
- Pour the batter in 2 well greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake at 350* about 1 hour. (I made half the recipe and it took 35 min).
- Remove from pans and cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a very nice sweet bread with lots of raisins. I have never made bread that required boiling the fruit with the baking soda and wondered about it. It worked beautifully though. I did leave out the nuts as DH isn't a big nut eater. The crust came out chewier than I would have expected but that could have been something I did or due to my pan. All in all, a keeper. Made for Fall PAC 2009.Reply