Quinoa Chicken Salad
photo by agileangus
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced radish
- 1⁄2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgian olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- *Rinse quinoa in a seive under cold water very well to remove natural, soapy film residue.
- 1. To prepare salad, bring broth to a boil in a medium sauce pan, gradually stir in quinoa. Cook 18-20 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- 2. In a cast iron skillet, over medium heat, add pine nuts (NO OIL) and shake constantly until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Add chicken, onions, radishes, cucumber, parsley, and toasted pine nuts., toss gently to combine.
- 4. To prepare dressing, combine vinegar, and remaing ingredients stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over salad, toss to combine.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a wonderful, light, refreshing salad. My husband is not a fan of quinoa but really liked this. I introduced my teaching partner to quinoa with this salad, and we both agreed it was very good. The only thing I changed was the amount of cumin. To me, cumin can be an overpowering spice, so I only used 1/8 tsp. I am thinking of making this with either scallops or shrimp for another twist. Great recipe!
Outstanding. Made it for my wife and the kids, I was a HERO! I did burn the quinoa at first so had to redo. In fact, my five year old said, "Dad, why is the rice [quinoa] on fire?" Second time around, I put the quinoa and 2 cups of broth in the pot and brought both to a boil together I lowered it to a simmer and put a top on it. I let it hang out at that heat for 15 minutes. It was fluffy and ready after that. Dad Mark