Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Pickled Onion Slaw
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This was published in the September 2012 Ladies' Home Journal and I didn't want to lose the recipe! Fast and easy meal, especially when serving a large group of people.
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 15mins
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 lbs boneless pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 large red onions, thinly sliced root to tip
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce or 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 8 brioche bread or 8 hamburger buns
- Sprinkle salt over entire pork shoulder and place in a slow-cooker with crushed garlic, cumin seeds and 1/4 cup vinegar. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours or high heat for 5 hours. Pork should shred easily and be very tender.
- Meanwhile, make slaw by whisking together remaining 1/4 cup vinegar, sugar and celery seed; toss with onions. Let sit up to 3 hours. Stir in cilantro just before serving.
- Remove pork from juices and cool slightly, then shred and cut into small pieces. Strain juices and pour off fat. Mix 1 cup of the juices with barbeque sauce and hot sauce to serve with pork; discard remaining juices.
- Serve pork on brioche buns piled with onion slaw and drizzled with sauce. Pork can be made a day in advance.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION