Preheat oven to 190 degrees centigrade (moderately hot).
Grease a 20 cm round cake tin and line base with paper; grease paper.
2. Cover prunes with boiling water, let stand 10 minutes or until soft; drain well.
3. Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until pale in colour. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Stir in sifted flour, semolina and juice.
5. Spread two-thirds of mixture over base of prepared pan, top with prunes, spread with remaining cake mixture.
6. Bake in moderate oven about 50 minutes or until cooked through.
7. When cake is nearly cooked, make syrup by combining sugar and water in pan and stirring over heat (without boiling) until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Lastly stir in rosewater.
8. Turn onto wire rack, turn cake right side up and place rack on a tray.
9. Pour hot syrup over hot cake, cool Serve dusted with icing sugar if desired.