Potica (Croatian Nut Roll)
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 50mins
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup butter (not spread or tub product) or 1/2 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 -3 lbs nuts, shelled and ground
- 2 -3 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (Pet brand preferred) or 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 egg whites, beaten (optional)
- Stir yeast into water.
- Mix butter, milk, sugar, and salt.
- Add egg yolks, yeast mixture and 2 cup flour.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add remaining flour and turn dough out on a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, elastic and does not stick to surface.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise 1 hour.
- Grease your baking pan.
- Filling: mix milk, salt, margarine and sugar.
- Heat slightly until margarine melts and sugar is dissolved.
- Add nuts then to stretch mixture you can fold in beaten egg whites.
- After it has risen, divide into 4 equal parts.
- Do not knead.
- Roll each piece to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Spread with cooled filling.
- Roll jelly-roll style and place seam down in a greased pan.
- Let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes.
Join The Conversation
Wow this was surprisingly easy to make and delicious. I have to make more because everyone enjoyed it so much. I did do a few things differently. I followed all of the ingredients exactly but i let the dough rise until at least double in size. Then I put it on a sheet on my table rolled it out then I stretched it to make it as thin as possible (without creating too many holes, This dough is so easy to work with.) Then I spread the filling on the dough and rolled in into a long log and cut it into desirable lengths. Instead of letting the dough rise another hour I baked it right away for about 40 minutes. This turned out so good and was so easy i am going to be handing these out for Christmas.