Potato Gratin With Gruyere Cheese and Creme Fraiche
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds
- 1 1⁄2 cups creme fraiche
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed grated gruyere cheese (about 6 oz.)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced scallion (green onions)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and generously butter a 13x9x2 glass baking dish.
- Arrange half of potato slices in bottom of prepared dish, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread half of creme fraiche over the potatoes and sprinkle with 1/2 of the Gruyere cheese.
- Top with remaining potatoes, again overlapping slightly, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread remaining creme fraiche on top, and sprinkle with remaining Gruyere cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to to 350 degrees.
- Continue to bake the gratin until the potatoes are tender and the top is a nice golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and scallions.
Join The Conversation
This was very good. We used 1 cup creme fraiche and a half cup of whipping cream since creme fraiche turned out to be so expensive! We also added some garlic and an extra half cup of cheese. Yum. I purchased a mandolin especially for this recipe, and am glad I did. It made quick work of slicing the potatoes.