Poached Fish With Starfruit Sauce
photo by milliwuu
- Ready In:
- water (up to 3/4 height of the fish in pan)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 slices ginger
- 1⁄2 cup of sliced fruit
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar (depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or oyster sauce or A1 sauce)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb white fish fillet (or whole fish with several cut slits)
- 4 leaves basil, julienned (optional, or coriander or green onion)
- 1 teaspoon topioca starch (or corn starch)
- 1 teaspoon water
- fruit slices (to garnish)
- Put water, oil, ginger, fruits, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, in pan, bring to the boil.
- Put in the fish. Cover and simmer till cooked through (about 5-10 minutes depending on thickness of fish.).
- Taste to adjust saltiness. (You may want to be on the salty side because the fish is not marinaded.).
- Take out the fish onto a plate leaving sauce in the pan.
- Dissolve starch in water to make starch water.
- Add basil to sauce.
- With one hand stirring the sauce, slowly dripping in only enough starch water to achieve the right consistency (the sauce should be able to stay on the fish, but not lumpy.) Make more starch water if the sauce is still too watery.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and garnish with fruit slices.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!